Monday, August 31, 2015

James 1:5 Wisdom

If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him.  

So...a little recap here.  When trials come - we are told to receive them with joy.  Joy.  Really?  How can that happen?  It certainly wouldn't be my first natural reaction.  So why would God  ask something like that of us?  It is because He knows - and wants us to come to understand -  that trials can actually result in something good?  We also understand that we need to "see through to the end" any testing that comes our way.  When we do that, it will produce patience and endurance in us. 

Now for the wisdom verse.  "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him".

The phrase, "if any of you lacks wisdom" can be confusing.   I know I have always made the assumption that that means I can ask God for wisdom about any and everything.  Well.  That didn't work.  

Why?

Was it because I didn't ask in faith (like the next verse will ask)?  

No.

It's really important to remember that the context of the wisdom question is trials and testing.  

When I lack wisdom in how to deal with a trial or how to go through a time of testing, I can ask God and He will give me His wisdom without getting angry at my inability to know how to proceed.

It's not a question of asking God "which car to purchase" or "should I buy this house", etc.

It's asking God how to deal with a trial I am currently in.

The answer we are given, may indeed, require the patience that He is trying to teach us...

No comments:

Post a Comment