Tuesday, August 18, 2015

James 1:3 Testing

Know that the testing of your faith produces patience.

As followers of Christ who are faithful, we will have things happen that will actually "test" our faith.

* How can we know that something is testing our faith?
* What does that exactly mean?

We can know our faith is being tested when a circumstance throws us a curve ball - usually when something unpleasant happens. That 'unpleasant' something could take the form of a person or circumstance. 

I know that when bad things happen in my life, I don't automatically think to myself:

"Wow, isn't this bad thing great?!  What an awesome opportunity to view it as a test of my faith"!?

No.  I usually just get bummed out...which could take one of many forms.  

BUT. 

What if I DID look at my life circumstances as a test of my faith?
What exactly would that mean?  How would it look?

When was the last time you or I encountered a difficult situation, whether it was regarding a person or a circumstance? 

Did we get "testy"...or did we take it like we would take - oh, I don't know - take a test?

If we were to give ourselves a grade to reflect how well we dealt with it, what would you have given yourself?  What would I give myself?

An 'A', 'B', 'C', 'D'...or 'F'?


Do we "rule"... or do we let the Holy Spirit "over-rule" the actions we may have wanted to take initially?

When we allow our faith to rule...it not only results in a good 'score'...it results in patience, endurance and perseverance that will eventually 'kick in' before we are even tempted to 'do' something that will result in -uh- a poor 'score' as we are dealing with those life things that constantly surround us.

God doesn't tempt us...but He does test us.  Our faith is tested. 

And that's a good thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment